Thursday, March 3, 2011

skin nourishing "green" smoothie

Growing up, my mom would make green smoothies for us often.  We used to call her green concoctions "Monster Slime".  After high school, I started making green smoothies for myself and I found that greens could be hidden pretty good with fruit.

When C first started eating solids, he had a great diet.  Breast milk, fruit and veggies.  After he turned one and started eating more and more solid "solids" his diet became less and less ideal.  He weaned at 14 months and sooner than I had hoped for. I was 4 months pregnant with J which may have played a role in his early weaning.  Soon C became fairly picky and would eat bananas and cheese all day if I let him. Scratching my brain as to how to get more veggies into his diet, I remembered the green smoothies that I used to make.  I started making them for him too, and guess what?  He likes them!

C has had dry skin issues most of his life despite my best attempts to keep it hydrated, (rarely using soap for baths, lotion, etc) he still has itchy dry skin.  Avocados are GREAT for skin health, both topically and internally.  I wanted C to eat more avocado, but he's not always so keen on eating avocado chunks. I decided to disguise it in a smoothie and see what happened.  
Here's my recipie:



1/2 avacado
1/2 large banana
1/2 cup frozen berries*
1 leaf of kale
1/2 cup plain yogurt with live cultures (probiotics) (I use Nancy's Plain Honey Yogurt)
1/2 cup of water*
1 tsp flaxseeds (flaxseed oil would work well too)
*if you are new to green smoothies,  you may want to add more berries and/or use 100% juice

Blend all ingredients in blender until well blended. Serve immediately.  Makes one pint sized smoothie.


  What doesn't taste good when you have a straw?? :)

1 comment: